gEDA-user: PCB: outline layer not exported to gerber?

First, please add my name to those grateful for the PCB developers' time.

In using PCB recently (CVS with the bottom-view-cursor-madness fixed), I
sought to have a board made with a non-rectangular outline. When I tried
the suggestion in http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:pcb_tips, the outline
showed up on the silkscreen layer, but was never output with the gerber
files.

When I then hand-edited the .PCB file to move the outline lines to layer
7 (giving it the name "outline"), the outline still didn't get exported
with the gerber files.

So what should I do? Is there a flag I don't know about which identifies
lines and arcs as part of an outline? Did the RS-274 exporter get broken
recently?

Thanks,

--
Marshall Jose, WA3VPZ