gEDA-user: Geda 1.6 Installation failed

   Hi,
   I have Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop with geda installed from repository.
   Yesterday I tried to install the new available stable version of Geda
   form Sources (1.6).
   I removed the old installation, I have installed all dependencies
   listed on INSTALL file.
   After that I did ./configure --prefix=$HOME/geda, make and make
   install.
   Everything was OK but when I tried to start gschem I received an
   error: gschem is not installed on your system you can install it from
   repository.
   Sorry for the silly question but I did not find the answer in the WIKI
   or in the previous mail.
   What is wrong? Something is missing?
   Thank you in advance
   Giuliano