Re: gEDA-user: My uEDA-designed open source hardware board works!

David SMITH <dave.smith@xxxxxx> wrote:

> However, I think you'd have a problem with non-GUI PCB layout.  Whilst
> you could automate all of the routing and some of the placement, I'd
> really struggle without a GUI for placing the parts where their location
> matters (e.g. connectors, front panel stuff, etc.).  I suspect that
> doing this textually would be a rather tedious and long-winded process.

Actually for me it's exactly the other way around: when it comes to
putting down those elements whose locations are fixed by external
constraints, vi-ing the .pcb file is my preferred method for doing that:
I'm really good at doing the centimil math involved in that and this way
I have the confidence that the element or the mounting hole (Via object)
is exactly where I need it to be.

For the OSDCU board this has turned out to be a non-issue because I went
with the strategy of making the board first and then building an
enclosure for it later once it's 100% working, so I told Ineiev that it
was OK to move the "fixed" components around a little if necessary on
this first pre-enclosure PCB revision, but previously I had a different
plan.  My previous plan had been to fit my board into the enclosure from
a gutted Inefficient Networks router, and I had measured the old board
out with a caliper and entered all fixed locations into OSDCU.pcb with
vi.

But then I changed my mind because I wanted to use right angle LEDs
instead of the upward-shining ones used by FP/EN, and I didn't want the
IEC 320 AC mains entry right on my board as I wanted more flexibility
(allow OSDCU+router or multi-OSDCU combinations sharing a common
enclosure and power supply).  So I trimmed my PCB down to a rough size
equivalent of the functional section (sans AC mains entry) of FP/EN's
PCB, made it simple rectangular, made the dimensions metric (I still
consider myself a Soviet citizen and follow Soviet standards) and let
Ineiev have a go at it. :-)  And now we have a working board, yay!

karl@xxxxxxxxxxx (Karl Hammar) wrote:

> The ueda don't compile out of the box here, there are a lot of forward
> references to static functions, exit(3) and strlen(3) no declared, and
> conflicting declaration of malloc.

uEDA is intended to run on 1970s-80s versions of UNIX like I use, but it
builds OK on my Linux boxes too if one simply ignores the voluminous gcc
warnings.

> Attached diff fixes thoose for me.

With this diff it would be unusable to me because <stdlib.h> doesn't
exist on UNIX systems like V7 and 4.3BSD.

MS

P.S. Yes, I'm heavily into retrocomputing.  The OSDCU board I've just
built is actually a retrocomputing device too, as its primary purpose is
to hook SDSL circuits up to 1980s-style routers.