Re: gEDA-user: Alternative subparts

On Oct 31, 2009, at 3:10 AM, Karl Hammar wrote:

> john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
>> Karl Hammar wrote:
>>> Is there a way to organize alternative subparts in a project, e.g.
>>> a cpu-card for one user will have one kind a bus-connector and for
>>> another user another bus-connector, but still maintanable as one
>>> project?
>> I would use the method where project definition is by separate
>> directories
>> with different gafrc files containing different lists of libraries.
>
> I don't understand this method, what is the reason for not sharing
> libraries?
>
> For what I understand, a library is a good thing when sharing things,
> why should I want to use duplicate libraries when most of the design
> is common?

Keep the common components in common libraries, subproject-specific
ones in subproject libraries.

Another way (which I use) is to maintain the project with a revision
control system, and  do releases and branches ("alternative
subparts") as you'd do them for software. This is especially handy
when there's a software component to the project...

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx