Re: gEDA-user: pcb crooked traces

At 10:01 AM 10/8/2010, you wrote:
On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 08:41:06AM -0400, Rick Collins wrote:
> At 06:31 AM 10/8/2010, you wrote:
>
> >BTW, I'd vote for 1 unit, and a scale value.  That is if you are
> >making a 10 meter antenna,  Then you set the PCB's scale to 0.1mm.
>
> I'm not sure what that even means.  Are you suggesting that the
> internal representation be adjusted by the user?

Not quite. The ``internal resolution'' would be the same, but the
visible units (on the gui and in the exports) would be scaled by
the scale factor, on a per-.pcb basis.

If I understand correctly, this would not solve the problem. The problem results from working with data in metric format which can not be represented exactly using an inch based internal integer. If the internal representation is metric, then inches can be represented exactly.

Are you suggesting that 32 bit integers representing nm could be used and the 2/4 meter limitation could be resolved by using a scale factor?

Am I up to speed now?

Personally, I can't imagine a PCB larger than 2 meters much less 4 meters. Or is the possibility of uses other than PCB design being considered here?

Rick