Re: gEDA-user: Database on symbols, footprints and other (was "Re: gattrib")

On Apr 29, 2010, at 2:14 AM, Armin Faltl wrote:

> To express the many-to-many relation between parts and symbols it uses
> a table called "device". This is fed by the infamous device attribute
> in the symbol libraries. There's nothing wrong in the theory of DB-design
> with it, but the indiscriminate use of this attribute in the symbol-libs
> waters the use of this design down to uselessness.

I'm investigating another mechanism to create a part 'class' with some
existing data in the part library. Using the device attribute for this
causes problems. I am pondering the first portion of the symbol filename.
So, 'resistor-1.sym' is part of the 'resistor' class. Any other
suggestions?

Cheers,
Ed