Re: gEDA-user: pcb crooked traces

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:19:39PM +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 11:26 -0700, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
>
> > I'm just throwing ideas into the air. What do you guys think?
> >

> Andrew, I am not sure if you know that there was already a transition
> from mil to 0.01 mil long time ago -- maybe that is useful information,
> but that was before I started PCB, so I have no detailed information.

Thanks, I'll look through the mailing list logs to see if there
were any oddities I should be aware of.

> What is your conclusion -- if we use 32 bit integer and nm base unit,
> will we have maximun board size of 2m or 4m. That was not fully clear in
> our discussion two years ago -- it does not really matter, but may be
> good to know and to proof our understanding.

For the people who need to make giant PCBs on 32-bit systems, we should
introduce a scale factor to the file format (254 by default, to maintain
compatibility with existing .01mil files).

Maybe the scale factor should be a float, so that boards can be made
with sub-nanometer precision?

In any case, I don't think the scale factor should be accessible from
the GUI, just there for edge cases and people who like to hand-edit their
pcb files. It could cause problems importing footprints whose grid is
smaller than the base unit.

> One funny point -- KiCAD developers have a similar discussion currently.

Andrew