Re: gEDA-user: pcb crooked traces

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:43:44PM +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 11:26 -0700, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
>

> > 1. length_t (long long) (or long, on 32-bit machines, if it turns out to
> >    matter) which is used to store lengths in base units.
>
> Andrew, I may expose my ignorance, but
>
> -- may long default to 64 bit on 64 bit systems
> -- may it be better to use long long on 32 bit machines to enforce there
> 64 bit (emulation) when 64 bit is desired?
>
> Sorry, I should better be quiet.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_integer

Well, the C standard says that long must be ``at least'' 32 bits,
maybe more. To the best of my knowledge, gcc uses a 32-bit long
even on 64-bit systems, to maintain compatibility with old code.
This was true last I checked, a year or two ago.

long long is ``at least'' 64 bits, which is why gcc does its emulation.

And yes, it might be better to use long long even on 32-bit machines,
if the performance hit is not too great. But we'll have to do testing
to see.

Andrew