Re: gEDA-user: pcb crooked traces

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:33:26AM +0800, Steven Michalske wrote:
> Internally the origin of the grid should go to the middle of the
> board, but have the board translate the coords to physical of the
> upper left, or even lower left.  Make some folks happy about their y
> decreasing or somthing or another.

I don't think "the middle of the board" is an internal concept,
especially if you're translating it to the top-left of the physical
board. So this doesn't make sense to me. What would the user see?

> This removes the loss from the other three quadrents of area and gives
> us 4.29 meter boards.  Using a signed number and just using the 1st
> quadrent is a waste, of about 2 meters.  ;-)  normally the folks won't
> need to set the origin other than the upper left of the board,  but
> for those 4 meter boards you'll have it.  and HUGE boards sets it to
> 64 bit integers.....

I think we'll be okay with a ~1m limit for the 32-bit version; then we
can use signed integers for all lengths, set the origin arbitrarily (I
assume by shifting the outline layer(s) around).

If you want giant boards, you can edit the scale factor in the .pcb file
or just use a 64-bit version of pcb.

> For those large or miniscule boards a nice scale setting solves any scale issue.

Exactly.

Andrew