Re: gEDA-user: PCB file syntax

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 07:54:46PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

Thanks for your answer, DJ!

> > But current versions emit something like
> >
> >   Flags("rubberband,clearnew,snappin")
> >
> > Maybe a more up-to-date description of the flags exist somewhere out there?
>
> Section 8.9 describes the flags themselves (numeric and string), if
> that's what you're asking.

Well, there's section 8.9 and there's section 8.10.

Section 8.10 claims to be PCBFlags, that is, (AFAICS) the flags that are
located in the top-level "Flags" directive as described in 8.8.10. But
both, 8.8.10 and 8.10, talk only about numeric flags, while the directive
quoted above contains string flags. Those string flags don't seem to be
listed in 8.9 either.

OTOH, for Object Flags (8.9), there seem to be some discrepancies from
code to documentation. For example:

hole      documented for pins+vias,      but has only PIN_TYPES
clearline documented for lines+arcs,     but has LINE_TYPE|ARC_TYPE|TEXT_TYPE
fullpoly  documented for polygons,       but has ALL_TYPES
auto      documented for lines+vias,     but has ALL_TYPES
rubberend documented for lines,          but has LINE_TYPE|ARC_TYPE
warn      documented for pins+vias+pads, but has only PIN_TYPES|PAD_TYPE
octagon   documented for pins+vias,      but has PIN_TYPES|PAD_TYPE
edge2     documented for pins+pads,      but has ALL_TYPES

usetherm  what does "obsolete" mean? No files with this flag exist?
fullpoly  what's the point of drawing only the biggest part of a polygon?
edge2     closer to which edge? Why does this influence orientation?
rat       what's the point of storing rat lines in files?

The flags found/selected/warn/drc/lock seem to be internal only, but are
not documented as such.

BTW: Is it by intent that we have PIN_TYPES vs PAD_TYPE (plural vs singular)?

> src/parse_y.y contains the master copy of the Flags() docs if you want
> to suggest a suitable change.

Sorry, I was not about to criticize you. It's just that I got somewhat
confused when I tried to understand it. I bet the problem is on my side,
so please don't be offended. I guess I should try to understand status
quo (both, how _and_ why it is the way it is) before I go suggesting
changes.