Re: gEDA-user: PCB file syntax

> Well, there's section 8.9 and there's section 8.10.

Err, right ;-)

> Section 8.10 claims to be PCBFlags, that is, (AFAICS) the flags that are
> located in the top-level "Flags" directive as described in 8.8.10. But
> both, 8.8.10 and 8.10, talk only about numeric flags, while the directive
> quoted above contains string flags. Those string flags don't seem to be
> listed in 8.9 either.

src/const.h has the PCBFlags documentation, and it's missing names :-P

> hole      documented for pins+vias,      but has only PIN_TYPES

PIN_TYPES means PIN_TYPE plus VIA_TYPE.

> clearline documented for lines+arcs,     but has LINE_TYPE|ARC_TYPE|TEXT_TYPE

doc bug.

> fullpoly  documented for polygons,       but has ALL_TYPES

  { FULLPOLYFLAG, N ("fullpoly"), POLYGON_TYPE},

> auto      documented for lines+vias,     but has ALL_TYPES

Shortcut for "everything not already matched"

> rubberend documented for lines,          but has LINE_TYPE|ARC_TYPE

Arcs are a type of line, just curved :-)

> warn      documented for pins+vias+pads, but has only PIN_TYPES|PAD_TYPE

That's correct.

> octagon   documented for pins+vias,      but has PIN_TYPES|PAD_TYPE

Not sure if we support it, but no reason not to parse it.

> edge2     documented for pins+pads,      but has ALL_TYPES

Shortcut.

> usetherm  what does "obsolete" mean? No files with this flag exist?

We store thermals separately, since we have multiple types and
per-layer types.

> fullpoly  what's the point of drawing only the biggest part of a polygon?

Electrical connectivitiy.

> edge2     closer to which edge? Why does this influence orientation?

It's used for printing the pin names in the pinout window.

> rat       what's the point of storing rat lines in files?

They're part of the layout?

> The flags found/selected/warn/drc/lock seem to be internal only, but are
> not documented as such.

They're not internal only.  They're saved with the board.

> BTW: Is it by intent that we have PIN_TYPES vs PAD_TYPE (plural vs singular)?

pin types include both pins and vias.

> > src/parse_y.y contains the master copy of the Flags() docs if you want
> > to suggest a suitable change.
>
> Sorry, I was not about to criticize you. It's just that I got somewhat
> confused when I tried to understand it.

My suggestion was innocent - if you want to get involved, this is a
good place to start.  Documentation is sometimes best written by fresh
eyes.