Re: gEDA-user: Enhancements for gEDA/pcb G-code export

Hi again :-)

Hacking pcb is so much fun, I'm already close to the part where I want to implement milling of non-track stuff. Like the board's outline, like venting holes, like bigger bores.

Likely the best idea would be to search for such geometry on a "milling" layer. I also think it's best to ignore line thicknesses for such tasks and to simply move the mill bit along the line's or arc's center. Set the line width to the mill bit's diameter and the display is accurate.

One question arises is, how to decide wether to flip the geometry or not. Single-sided boards are manufactured from the bottom side only, so flipping would be undoubtly appropriate. Is there a need for milling from the top side, after all? If I put the milling layer into the solder side and component side groups for distinction, this disturbs all the tracks, right?

Another one is, is there a GUI way to create lines outside the board? Milling the outer border of the board is always done from outside the board, after all.

Any comments are welcome

Markus

Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/