gEDA-user: More OpenGL ideas

Spilling some ideas out whilst I remember them..

The layer textures could be A8 textures, rather then ARGB textures.
(Saving 4x memory). This would require the combining to be done in a
pixel shader which can colour each layer.

I'm not yet sure how to do colouring of selected components (will
probably require the geometry to be re-spat-out with flags on selected
parts, or selected parts drawn separately).

For "finding" connected tracks, I thought if might be nice to tag the
vertices we emit with a netID number. I don't know how quickly we'd run
out of IDs, but it shouldn't be a real issue.

Basically then, if you can give the vertex shader a run-time uniform
parameter for it to test against on each vertex and choose the colour to
use. This lets you retain the same cached geometry no matter which trace
you highlight.

Selection is of course harder, as there are so many objects - and
multiple objects can be selected at once.

I would love to get to the point where hitting "f" on a track fades out
the saturation / increases the opacity for non-"found" tracks around it.
I want to make the renderer capable of such effects, and make the
application of them adjustable. I'm sure some good usability / human
interaction designers out there can come up with some awesome uses for
such features.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,