Re: gEDA-user: More OpenGL ideas

Peter Clifton wrote:

> I would love to get to the point where hitting "f" on a track
> fades out
> the saturation / increases the opacity for non-"found" tracks
> around it.
> I want to make the renderer capable of such effects, and make the
> application of them adjustable. I'm sure some good usability / human
> interaction designers out there can come up with some awesome uses
> for such features.

How about some low hanging fruit in the mean time?

* Always highlight the object a left mouse click would refer to.
This is done by many CAD applications. It would make many GUI
actions more predictable to newbies (and evveryone else, too).
I always have to tell newbies more than once, that they don't
have to select before move, or delete.

* Even lower hanging: Change the mouse cursor on more events than
just "end-of-track". Polygon corners, straight segments,
components, text,... They all could have specific icons.

* Add handles to selected objects. Again, a wide spread
UI technique for 2D manipulation.

While dreaming about GUI fatures:
I have mixed emotions on the info pop-ups. It is nice to
just let the mouse hover to receive the information.
On the other hand, the text pops up exactly where I was just
working. So it is a bit distracting. How about some kind
of permanent detached status window?

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak