Re: gEDA-user: Ben mode feature request

DJ Delorie wrote:

> One suggestion I got a Devcon was to support STEP format for 3-d
> graphics.  While it's a hairy format, it was said to be "the
standard"
> for sharing 3-d models of components.
>
> Of course, it would be nicer if someone *else* supported it for
> us :-)

That's why I keep suggesting an export to freecad format.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeCAD_(Juergen_Riegel)

Import/export to a native format of an open Source CAD application
catches many worms with one move:

a) Use FreeCAD to create 3D models of components

b) FreeCAD can integrate the layout, complete with components
with mechanical models of where ever it has to fit in.

c) FreeCAD app can take care of exports to other, more wide spread
formats. Let it worry about the peculiarities of STEP, VRML, blender,
etc.

The FreeCAD project still has some way to go until their goal
is in sight --> be comparable to Catia, or SolidWorks. But it
advances fast and is already quite usable.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Öffentlicher PGP-Schlüssel: