Re: gEDA-user: Ben mode feature request

On 10/29/2010 09:55 AM, Peter Clifton wrote:
Whilst that isn't as general as a full VRML importer, it might be nice
to be compatible with other OSS CAD tools and their models.

VRML has been around so long that it is one of the ones you want to be able to
translate to and from.

On 10/29/2010 10:15 AM, Phillip Jones wrote:
> quick search on sourceforge reveals:
> http://exp-engine.sourceforge.net/

I couldn't figure out what this feature list for Express Engine means:
    *  Browse and Validate Express (ISO 10303-11) schemas
    * Browse and Validate Express Data Populations
    * Validate and Evaluate Express-X (ISO 10303-14) views and maps
    * GUI and command-line interfaces
    * Express Shell

On 10/29/2010 06:05 PM, kai-martin knaak wrote:
> That's why I keep suggesting an export to freecad format.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeCAD_(Juergen_Riegel)a

I tried using Freecad 2 months ago and it was very slow when more
than two rectangular shapes were modeled.  Boolean slices took forever
and made the model slow also.  It needs more work before doing a 3D rep of a board
with components.

On 10/30/2010 12:15 PM, Bert Timmerman wrote:
> http://openscad.org/
>
> Runs on both windoze and linux (works for me on Fedora).

OpenSCAD has just had some discussion on its list about upgrading it
so STEP can be output, and also there is some talk of using its native file save format
for the 3D file to make things from with reprap.org tools.  So it could be good for
two formats soon.

On 10/30/2010 01:09 PM, Evan Foss wrote:
> I may have missed it but has anyone suggested the brlcad format. It
> might be better than freecad in that it has export/import from a lot
> of other formats already written.

Steep learning curve.  Few can take it long enough to get usability.

OpenSCAD is programmer friendly so it's a natural.  It is not a GUI integrated
view/click/drag tool like FreeCAD will be some day, it is a scripting tool to generate 3D
output to view in some other tool, then change the script, repeat till you like it.
You can use it with git and it's just like coding a program for functions, instead your
output is 3D shapes.  By cut and pasting the scripts you get a lot of reuseability without even
having it in a reusable 3D format.  But they're working on that and probably will have STEP
crudely working soon.

John Griessen
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX