Re: gEDA-user: More OpenGL ideas

Am 29.10.2010 02:44, schrieb kai-martin knaak:
How about some low hanging fruit in the mean time?
* Always highlight the object a left mouse click would refer to.
This is done by many CAD applications. It would make many GUI
actions more predictable to newbies (and evveryone else, too).
I always have to tell newbies more than once, that they don't
have to select before move, or delete.

As written before some weeks, I am thinking about some changings to the pcb-menu (adaption to HID-Guidelines, resorting, renaming, ...). I came across the same point as you mentioned here: For me it seems to be unusual to do actions on an element, which is not selected, especially for new users (like me). I think, for menu-items it doesn't make sense to do the actions on the elements, where the mouse is over, because the mouse is over the menu-item and not at the desired element while clicking. The 'GetXY()'-function is a workaround for this (I think).

Therefore I am thinking about changing the behaviour of some (many) menu-items that they will act on selected items instead. I think, this would be more familliar to new users. What do you think?

Some more thoughts about this:
- The keyboard-shortcuts will also just work on selected objects. It might be possible that they will also work on the elements where the mouse is over (for power-user), but what should be the behaviour, if one or more elements are selected and the mouse is over another element? - At some functions this new behaviour needs some coding in the core-functions, not just the gui-related files. - This behaviour might be nice for new users. But is it also comfortable for long-time and power-user?

I have started to introduce/implement this behaviour to some functions but really just some of them. If you like this, I will go on with this and send some patches later.

Regards, Felix