gEDA-user: Oddness, or stupid user?

So, maybe i'm just being a moron, but i can't for the life of me get
nets to connect to pins in gschem. I can get them to connect to other
nets just fine (take the net from A->B and then back again and it goes
to little circles). But i can't get them to connect onto pins.

Is there a "getting started, step by step, because you're really
ignorant" tutorial anywhere?

I'm using the gschem that comes with geda-gschem on debian -- 20020527.
which is shown as being a bit old, but i doubt that's the problem.

Thanks in advance for your time to explain something so trivial...
--
/jbm, but you can call me josh. Really, you can.
 "Let us endeavor so to live that when we come