gEDA-user: Icarus Verilog and Quickstart Alarm

Icarus Verilog will not compile and run the Alarm module and testbench
in chapter 16 of  Verilog Quickstart 3rd Edition by James M. Lee. First
it refuses to bind the armed and almOut in the check task. If I fix that
by adding additional inputs to the task for these nets then the named
always block timeout does not disable correctly. I'm using the 20030116
snapshot and I've tried it both on Windows 95 and Windows 2000. The code
is kind of long so I won't include it here. If someone would like a copy
I can send it to them. The question is: Is there something wrong with
the code in the book, is there a bug in the compiler or am I running
Icarus wrong?

Thanks
Paul