Re: gEDA-user: Automatic collection of Digi-Key data

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 04:57:25PM -0500, Mark Rages wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm using geda for the first time, and I plan to buy all my parts from
> Digi-Key.
>
> I got tired of manually keying in attributes to symbols, so I wrote a
> script to get the values in a Python dictionary.
>
> It's at http://mlug.missouri.edu/~markrages/software/digikey.py/
>
> todo: For certain parts (R/C/SMT transistor) it should be possible to
> generate the entire symbol based on Digi-Key's category and footprint
> information.  If I do this, I'll mail the list again.

Reply to myself:  I have done this for SMT passives and 1/4W carbon
resistors.
The scripts are at my website above.

Example:

[markrages@localhost digipart]$ digipart.py 399-1805-2-ND
[markrages@localhost digipart]$ gsymcheck 399-1805-2-ND-1.sym
gEDA/gsymcheck version 20040111
gEDA/symcheck comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see COPYING for more details.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
conditions; please see the COPYING file for more details.

Checking: /home/markrages/digipart/399-1805-2-ND-1.sym
No errors found

End example.

I'm leaving for the weekend.  Next todo: I want to make generic N-pin IC
symbols, then create a bookmarklet for downloading symbols when browsing
Digi-Key's website.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@mlug
--
You think that it is a secret, but it never has been one.