Re: gEDA-user: GND and Vcc pin on IC 74245

Wilbert Knol wrote:
Idea and I have always been totally intrigued why anyone would want to do this - I have yet to see a single, good argument in favour.

OK, try this - there is not always a one-to-one mapping from entities on the schematic to ICs. Consider a 7400 quad NAND gate chip: this part is not rendered as a box with 4 NANDs in it, but as four separate NAND gates "floating around" on the schematic. OK, so, where do you put the power pins?

1) On every device, and have the problem of somebody connecting U1A's Vcc to the +5 digital net, and U1B's Vcc to the +5 analog net?
2) On one device in the package? Now one device is "special" and has extra pins, so you cannot auto-number them.
3) On a hidden net so that the normal behavior is that the parts "Just Work".

I agree - when you are dealing with a device for which there is a one-to-one mapping between schematic and board hidden nets are not really needed, but for some devices they really do make things cleaner.