Re: gEDA-user: Introduction and some questions/thoughts on gEDA/gaf...

Morning (or whatever time of the day is in your place) everyone!

Stuart, thanks for the prompt reply!

> Go ahead and send me the patches.  I appreciate it when folks send
> patches (instead of feature requests) because it makes my work easy.
> Please supply diffs against the latest gEDA/gaf release, 20050820.
> You can also just send me the symbols and I'll stick them into CVS.
> Please let me know which symbol directory they should go in.

Attached are two symbols and a patch to gnet-spice-sdb to netlist them
properly.
K (SPICE coupling coefficient) is of general interest. You drop it
onto your schematic
and specify the value (default 0.0, so circuit would work as before
until you change it)
and two inductors which are coupled together. If two inductors are
vertical and parallel
on your  schematic you drop K above them to make it look visually like
a transformer,
but all that matters to the netlister is presence of K and two inductor names.

The Josephson junction symbol is a bit esoteric, but its presence in
gEDA would allow
me to wholeheartedly recommend gschem within my particular field:
"See, they even
have a JJ symbol!" ;-)

Both should go into analog lib OR spice-components if we decide to create it.

> There is a "spice" directory, which holds SPICE specific components
> (VCCS, Voltage, etc.).  There is also an "analog" directory, whose
> components (standard linear passives, IIRC) should all netlist
> correctly for spice-sdb.  Which inductors failed?

[pbunyk@qubit analog]$ grep device coil-*
coil-1.sym:device=COIL
coil-2.sym:device=COIL
[pbunyk@qubit analog]$ grep COIL ../../scheme/gnet-spice-sdb.scm
[pbunyk@qubit analog]$

inductor and inductor-dot are OK, but 'coils' fail. Transformers
(obviously) fail too
-- I do not think SPICE ever had L,L,M element only separate Ls and K.
Not to mention
all the batteries, resistor packs, beepers and such (how do you
simulate a beeper? ;-) ).

> I agree that the symbol directories are a little disorganized.
> Perhaps creating a separate "spice-component" directory holding
> garuanteed resistors, inductors, caps, transistors, diodes, etc. might
> be a good idea?

I'm all for it! Who here has an authority to move symbols around, Ales?
If spice-component is in the default list of libraries gschem will
still be able
to find everything even when moved there and no existing designs will be
broken, but new ones will be so much easier to create!

> > Also, how hard would it be to add buttons to the toolbar from guile,
> > with attached callbacks to run guile scripts (e.g., some (or (system
> > "gnetlist") (system "spice")) , you know...).
>
> We'll never know until you submit the patches implementing this!   ;-)

I'll see what I can do --- most probably not on my current employer's buck
though, so it might take some time! ;-)

> If you create a lower level schematic called "foo.sch", and an upper
> level schematic called "bar.sch", then you should be able to do this:
>
> 1.  Create a symbol called "foo.sym".
> 2.  Place foo.sym in your top level schematic bar.sch.
> 3.  Attach the attribute "source=./foo.sch" to the symbol foo.

Oh, so it is "source=" attirbute! I'll try it