Re: gEDA-user: Usability issues of gEDA + PCB

As John pointed out in another posting, goal #2 is accomplished
using the install CD.  Some points w.r.t. the install CD:

*  Mario, if you feel like hacking the install process, please
consider looking at the install CD & hacking the Python-based install
wizard.  The code is pretty straightforward, and I will be happy to
give you pointers about what is going on if need be.  Learning Python
is a valuable skill, too!

*  One issue with the install CD is that it tends to not work on
non-generic installations.  THat is, get too far away from Debian or
Fedora, and the installer doesn't have the necessary prerequisite
packages, can't find things, or other wierd issues pop up.  This
problem can be addressed in two ways:

  -- More and better testing on more distributions.  SuSE has been a
     problem here, and I need to do more testing myself on this
     platform.  In any event, I welcome any and all test result
     reports from users on whatever platform they use.

  -- Hardening the installer.  Again, I happily accept any and all
     patches which folks might contribute after they have fixed
     problems on their own machines.

Stuart