Re: gEDA-user: Introduction and some questions/thoughts on gEDA/gaf...

Hello!

> 	I have been neglecting the symbol library, so the next major
> version of gEDA/gaf will be a symbol cleanup/reorg release.  I'm all ears
> to what issues people have with the existing symbol organization/layout.
>
> 	Few things that have come up recently:
>
> 1) The analog/ directory should probably be split or renamed up into
>    something more reasonable.  I'm open for suggestions.  The name
>    "passives" was suggested a while ago.
>
> 2) Yes, I'm all for creating a new spice directory, or making sure that
>    all the symbols in the spice directory work.
>
> 3) I want to go through and make sure that all vendor specific symbols are
>    in vendor specific directories.  I remember a few complaints about this.
>
> Others?
>
> -Ales

Sorting chips by function (opamp, regulators, microcontrollers..) should be
better since manufacturers of some chips change but the names are preserved.
For example old uA723 is now made by Texas and not by Fairchild who introduced
the prefix uA (originally "micro"A) in 1970's. Some popular chips can have
many manufacturers, so it will make the problem where to put them.

Wojciech Kazubski