Re: gEDA-user: Installing gEDA from 20050820 Suite CD on Fedora

Stuart Brorson wrote:
Question: What is the result of "gcc --version"?

The above command returns:

gcc (GCC) 4.0.1 20050727 (Red Hat 4.0.1-5)

As I suspected, your problem is that FC4 comes with gcc-4.x.  The 4.x
release of gcc imposes ultra-strict type checking.  Lots of gEDA
programs have trivial, insignificant type violations which
unfortunatly prevent gcc-4.x from compiling them.
This is bad news for everybody: gEDA users and developers alike.

no, this is good news. I've had to fix so much broken software on my alpha becuase of sloppy typecasting it isn't even funny. I've also had to fix a smaller handful on my sparc because of sloppy typecasting that forgot about alignment constraints. Come to think of it, I've also had to fix quite a few unaligned accesses on my alpha too.

-Dan