Re: gEDA-user: Installing gEDA from 20050820 Suite CD on Fedora

On Thursday 22 September 2005 09:22 pm, Stuart Brorson wrote:

> Unfortunately, most programming errors I am aware of are
> malloc/free errors which gcc  still permits, but never mind that
> detail. . . .

Begin rant and some sarcasm:

Gee, that free statement really makes things complicated: Lets just
leave that out.

Why do people write code in languages that require hands on memory
management if they are not willing to write code that releases the
memory back to the system? Are they writing software or designing a
permeable membrane for memory?

Oh yeah, lets not forget how hard valgrind, electric fence or any of the other
memory leak detection sandboxes are to use.

End rant

> Meanwhile, in the real world we have a large problem:  Lots of broken
> open-source EDA software.  Who will fix the problems?

FWIW, I'm willing to load gcc 4.x concurrently on a system and start working
through a program. I figure if I can get 10 or so type casts cleaned up
everytime I fire up the compiler thats 10 or so less errors in the code.

I'll work on cleaning GTKWave up. However, I don't have the time to
be the maintainer. I'm still playing catch up with a lot of things from when
my wife was sick.

Regards

Marvin