Re: gEDA-user: Languages etc

On Friday 23 September 2005 05:33 pm, Dan McMahill wrote:

> not to fan the flames, but the reality is that while there are JVM's
> available for some platforms, java simply isn't as widely ported as C.
> In fact, I've been unable to get gcc-java, blackdown, kaffe, suns java,
> etc to even build on my alpha.  So even if there were 100% agreement
> that java is the best and a desire for massive rewrite, it's simply not
> an option for some of us.

Regardless of how you look at it, Java is a closed platform. Further, people
keep referring to it as " Platform Independent". Java is not an application
or program that is platform independent - Java is a platform. That is why
a virtual machine is needed to execute the code on every system known
to man. The one exception is a true java machine which executes java
natively.

As for my number one reason for not liking it:

It is a proprietary commercial platform in the same vein as MS windows.
It's a closed project because the license says that it is.

I'll stop here or I'll write a diatribe on the woes of Java.

Regards

Marvin