Re: gEDA-user: Languages etc

Olgierd Eysymontt wrote:
I think that more powerfull machines have made more easy to many people
get into the programming world, I'd like to forget machines are
procedural (easyly done in a some GHz big machine) but of course I
don't, I learned the old way Basic -> pascal -> C -> C++ -> ......
->java -> python ....

I think we should not care about the power of the machines needed for an
EDA system as it will always be lower than the power needed by a web
browser, or do you still pretend to browse in ascii ?

Things have changed in the last years, now you can embeed and
interpreter in you code (I do, I use jython http://www.jython.org/ in 2
softwares), a database, and many thing more, now you can make software
many order more complex than before, and that's thanks to better
languages.

Parts of one of my projects goes on a PIC microcotroller, programmed in
plain C and ASM, so I know what's been in both worlds and I can tell you
Java have many defects, can be more or less propietary, but it's a
concept by it's own, besides that, there a so many code wroten in Java
that makes very easy to learn the languaje and do a very good job, same
as with C or C++, but with 30% the effort.

Of course, at the end, everything is a matter of taste.

Hoping not be flamed this time,

not to fan the flames, but the reality is that while there are JVM's available for some platforms, java simply isn't as widely ported as C. In fact, I've been unable to get gcc-java, blackdown, kaffe, suns java, etc to even build on my alpha. So even if there were 100% agreement that java is the best and a desire for massive rewrite, it's simply not an option for some of us.

-Dan