Re: gEDA-user: Languages etc

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 07:22:45PM -0400, Marvin Dickens wrote:
> On Friday 23 September 2005 05:33 pm, Dan McMahill wrote:
>
> > not to fan the flames, but the reality is that while there are JVM's
> > available for some platforms, java simply isn't as widely ported as C.
> > In fact, I've been unable to get gcc-java, blackdown, kaffe, suns java,
> > etc to even build on my alpha.  So even if there were 100% agreement
> > that java is the best and a desire for massive rewrite, it's simply not
> > an option for some of us.
>

> Regardless of how you look at it, Java is a closed platform. Further, people
> keep referring to it as " Platform Independent". Java is not an application
> or program that is platform independent - Java is a platform. That is why
> a virtual machine is needed to execute the code on every system known
> to man. The one exception is a true java machine which executes java
> natively.
>
> As for my number one reason for not liking it:
>
> It is a proprietary commercial platform in the same vein as MS windows.
> It's a closed project because the license says that it is.

If you rewrite gEDA in Java and there is no free software Java
Development Kit, it won't be possible to develop Ronja using free
software tools only and I will be forced to abandon gEDA on Ronja.

Ronja project policy requires the tools to be free software, because
only then the people get freedom.  If Ronja loses freedom, people can go
straighly buy fSONA or Laserbit and don't have to bother building
anything in their garage.

CL<