Re: gEDA-user: Languages etc

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 11:48:39PM -0400, Marvin Dickens wrote:
> On Friday 23 September 2005 11:08 pm, Stephen Meier wrote:
> > I tried to do this the humerous way. Now I will try a second way. The
> > person writting the code gets to deside the language/tools. It is a
> > really simple rule. If you think your favorite tool is the best way,
> > well cool, prove it by doing it. ya know.. walk the talk.
>
> Well, OK. I agree if you talk the talk, walk the walk. I have not contributed
> to the gEDA project other than a user. However, I have contributed to a
> couple of open source projects as my time has allowed me to. To be specific,
> I pretty much rewrote FIIN, which is was the beginnings of tool used to
> examine and extract compressed files images that are contained in parent
> files.  It's been renamed liftimage. Now that it's stable, it is mainly used
> to find and extract compressed embedded images contained in the firmware.
> Some users are using it to see if the firmware is based on the Linux kernel
> or includes other open source software. Some use it for reverse engineering
> purposes.
>
> I suppose this is a good a place as any to make this announcement: Just
> yesteday, I discovered that Axcelerra (Formally Adaptive Broadband) is using
> the Linux kernel in the 5GHz wireless product (Their Helium Mac Modem) which
> is used in urban areas as a last mile solution by a lot of ISP's. They charge
> $ for the firmware and upgrades and won't release the source code...

I have already forced Coraccess to promise they release under GPL if
the juridically invincible text they sent can be treated as promise...

Don't bother to send the company anything - send a mail straight to
http://gpl-violations.org/

From the responses I got I got a feeling that these companies just want
to cheat and if you poke at it, they try to conceal it as much as
possible (delay e-mails, do irrelevant responses, use a language that
can't be used against them in court)...

CL<