Re: gEDA-user: Mind the user

On Friday 23 September 2005 12:48 pm, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> I forgot to add that you can use spice-sdb to netlist to Gnucap since
> Gnucap's syntax is very similar to SPICE.  People are already doing
> that successfully I believe.  Also, some helpful
> contributor has added a bunch of Gnucap symbols (text directives &
> the like) to the SPICE directory.  The new symbols went out with the
> latest distribution, IIRC.  Therefore, Gnucap users are pretty well
> covered.

I do that all the time.  Usually it works, and when it doesn't usually
it doesn't work on spice either.  The biggest incompatibility, named
nodes, is fixed in the current development release, and will be in the
next official release soon.

> Perhaps when the symbol libs are upgraded we can split out a separate
> Gnucap directory, so that it is blazingly obvious that you can also
> netlist to Gnucap.  I wonder if it would make sense to create a
> symlink from spice-sdb to gnucap-sdb (or something like that) at
> install time, so that Gnucap users don't have to feel like they are
> hidden in the shadows of SPICE?

Something needs to be said, but I would rather it is not a separate
directory.  In the future, the preferred format will be Verilog-AMS,
with VHDL-AMS and Spice also accepted.

Gnucap users (at least developers) do feel hidden in the shadows of
SPICE here, but the netlist translation should continue to call the
format "spice".  Gnucao loses more than Spice when the translator
doesn't do a complete translation.  Every symbol should translate to a
netlist line.  No exceptions.

Does anyone still use the old non-sdb translator?