Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog meeting report: Notes on the topics we discussed

On Monday 19 September 2005 11:22 pm, Marvin Dickens wrote:
> Regarding the speed of Java, it's as fast as C++ (Not C) if
> and only if it is run as a VM server ........

Do you have a reference?

C++ should be as fast as C.  It is possible to hide inefficiency
in C, but it is also possible to use the better abstraction
that C++ offers to improve speed without sacrificing
maintainability.

In Java, I don't see that ability to tune that C++ has.  I also
don't see the ability to use the abstraction to improve speed,
like you can in C++.

The approach I like is to do engines and speed critical stuff in
a compiled language like C++, that provides high level
abstraction and also lets you fine tune, and do user interface
in an interpreted language like python or ruby.  The engine is
strictly text based.  The user interface passes messages to it.