Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog meeting report: Notes on the topics we discussed

On Monday 19 September 2005 05:57 pm, Olgierd Eysymontt wrote:
> Why use a native toolkit ?

Yuck.

Well here are a couple of reasons. At least, IMHO:

Java is not platform independent. It is a platform. Also, like MS Windows, it
is a proprietary commercial platform.  On other mailing lists, I have seen it
pointed out that you can write programs in any language for the JVM and
associated operating systems facilities. Even so, all JVM's that I've seen
are heavily biased in favor of Java. If you don't believe me, Just take a
look at:

http://java-source.net/

Regarding the speed of Java, it's as fast as C++ (Not C) if and only if it is
run as a VM server and not as the JVM client. As everyone knows, 98% of
all java apps are executed as a JVM client.

I am equally thrilled with java as a development tool...

Regards

Marvin