Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog meeting report: Notes on the topics we discussed

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 12:00 am, Al Davis wrote:
> On Monday 19 September 2005 11:22 pm, Marvin Dickens wrote:
> > Regarding the speed of Java, it's as fast as C++ (Not C) if
> > and only if it is run as a VM server ........
>
> Do you have a reference?

Sure. Go to:

http://kano.net/javabench/

Now, at pages like this one:

http://verify.stanford.edu/uli/java_cpp.html

reflect the use the JVM client during the test.

> C++ should be as fast as C.  It is possible to hide inefficiency
> in C, but it is also possible to use the better abstraction
> that C++ offers to improve speed without sacrificing
> maintainability.

I agree.

> In Java, I don't see that ability to tune that C++ has.  I also
> don't see the ability to use the abstraction to improve speed,
> like you can in C++.

Once again, I agree.

> The approach I like is to do engines and speed critical stuff in
> a compiled language like C++, that provides high level
> abstraction and also lets you fine tune, and do user interface
> in an interpreted language like python or ruby.  The engine is
> strictly text based.  The user interface passes messages to it.

I do not believe that it is possible for an interpeted language to be
as fast as a compiled language. But, the way I see it, Java has a
lot more blemishes than just speed. The OOP model used by
Java is from the 1980's. OTOH, the OOP model for C++ is more
modern than the one implimented in Java. In fact, I can't think
of any thing that Java has that a lot of other languages don't. I think that
historically, Java's claim to fame was it's ability to be implimented
as a applet in a browser. But, even this ability, by todays standards
is low tech - Ask any teenager (My step daughter is a good example) and
they will tell you that Flash is way more function rich than any java
applet could hope to be.

Personally, I'm real comfortable with C and C++ and I know that this makes
me bias regarding languages. Even so, when I try and look at the topic
objectively, Java is more hype than anything else.

Best regards

Marvin
Flash does so much more than