Re: gEDA-user: Installing gEDA from 20050820 Suite CD on Fedora

Stuart Brorson wrote:
no, this is good news.  I've had to fix so much broken software on my
alpha becuase of sloppy typecasting it isn't even funny.

I've run into similar headaches with my amd64 machine. If you forget to prototype a function that returns a pointer, you crash. sizeof(int) is not the same as sizeof(long) or sizeof(void*). Etc.

This definitely IS good news.

I'm glad to hear that everybody thinks that all this breakage is good
news since in some abstract sense this will force open-source
programmers to maintain better type discipline.  Unfortunately, most
programming errors I am aware of are malloc/free errors which gcc
still permits, but never mind that detail. . . .

Meanwhile, in the real world we have a large problem: Lots of broken
open-source EDA software. Who will fix the problems?

* Gerbv is still owned, so it stands a chance of getting fixed, but
when?

The fix to get this going under gcc4 is trivial. BTW, the fix was needed for a non-gcc compiler anyway. I'll contact Stefan about it.

-Dan