gEDA-user: Units used by software. - was - Re: C++ (was Re: interesting links)

 >>> Someone wrote:
 >>> <Something about using smaller units>

 >> andrewm wrote:
 >> Whats the smallest thing people have had to deal
 >> with so far then ?

 > DJ Delorie wrote:
 > I've done 01005 caps, which are 8 mils by 16 mils. PCB had no
 > problem with those. I've also done 0.4mm pitch VSSOPs, which
 > is about an 8 mil wide pad. I've not gone below 6 mil line/space
 > rules though.

So is there really a need to change the units used in the software
then ?  I recently switched to gEDA from autotrax because I could
not line up a 0.45mm DFN package I am now using a lot.  The 1E-5"
units seem to be more than adequate for this.

Also on the same subject as units - I think it would be nice to be
able to enter units for foot prints in metric.  Is this possible
anyway (I did not find refs to metric footprints).  If it's not
been done by anyone already I am going to just write some kind
of parser that does it for me external.  Might make it convert
units in {} as metric to [] inch units.  It's a fairly trivial
grip I have there but all the little components are drawn in
metric now.