Re: gEDA-user: perspective on marketing vs. substance

Duncan Drennan wrote:
> These two comments stand out (to me),
>
>> I was just about ready to jump ship for Eagle when I found KiCAD.   I
>> can spend all day on KiCAD and feel completely calm throughout the day,
>> and satisfied with the end result.   That's because the applications are
>> stable, and the interface is modern and intelligently designed.   It has
>> some quirks and oddities, but the overall experience compensates for
>> that.   Add to that the fact that it's free, and I hope you can see why
>> I recommend you look at it seriously.
>
>> Power planes are a bit of a weak point with KiCAD, and my only major
>> bugbear.
>
> From the description the person gives, they make it seem really easy
> and comfortable moving across to KiCAD - does gEDA create that user
> experience?
Nope.  That's why I keep an eye on Kicad, and that artist thingy
based on processing too.

> Secondly, the power plane bug/issue will be fixed at some point. If
> the user base keeps growing, so will the developer base and the
> quality of the product.
With a developer base of one or two maybe, they have a ways to catch up.
And who cares if artists and people who see electronics as a necessary evil
slowing their projects down use other tools than gEDA?  Fine by me.

I'll probably end up using both for different projects and/or scriptize
some of the front ends to be similar.    Library breadth is all that really creates
a big swell of adoption.

Figuring ways to translate and DRC footprints
and symbols en masse would make a big difference in popularity.

That wouldbe newsworthy.

John G
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX