Re: gEDA-user: Question regarding 1st LTSpice simulation

Robert Butts wrote:
> I tell my son the only dumb question is the one never asked.  So with
> that...
>
>  I'm doing an LTSpice simulation and following Stuart's howto.  In the
> Running LTSpice with gEDA designs step 5 is:
>
> Create a link from your netlist "output.net" and a netlist in the
> directory in which SwCADIII lives. Make the netlist suffix .cir. For
> example: ln -s ${DESIGN_HOME}/output.net
> ${WINE_HOME}/.wine/fake_windows/Program Files/LTC/SwCADIII/MyDesign.cir
>
> My questions are these:
>
> 1.  Earlier in the howto I was directed to netlist my design and name it
> design.cir.  This is the netlist in my design directory and it ends in
> .cir not .net.  Should Stuart's howto read ${DESIGN_HOME}/output.cir and
> not output.net <http://output.net>?

So far I've not come across a simulator which cared about the extension.
  But I'm not an LTspice user.

BTW, why LTspice and not ng-spice or gnucap which are both open source?
  With either of them, you can avoid tying yourself to a particular OS,
they both have mailing lists with not just users but program developers,
and you have more of an ability to influence the tools.

I've been down the path of closed source software with cheap or zero
cost to obtain before and at the end wished I hadn't.  The particular
nameless tool ended up being a dead end road since I ultimately needed
to migrate to another OS and didn't want to shell out thousands for
something I was using as a hobby.

Just my 2 cents.

-Dan