gEDA-user: Question regarding 1st LTSpice simulation

I tell my son the only dumb question is the one never asked.  So with that...

 I'm doing an LTSpice simulation and following Stuart's howto.  In the Running LTSpice with gEDA designs step 5 is:

Create a link from your netlist "output.net" and a netlist in the directory in which SwCADIII lives. Make the netlist suffix .cir. For example: ln -s ${DESIGN_HOME}/output.net ${WINE_HOME}/.wine/fake_windows/Program Files/LTC/SwCADIII/MyDesign.cir

My questions are these:

1.  Earlier in the howto I was directed to netlist my design and name it design.cir.  This is the netlist in my design directory and it ends in .cir not .net.  Should Stuart's howto read ${DESIGN_HOME}/output.cir and not output.net?

2.  Did I miss something and I was supposed to copy the netlist to the directory in which SwCADIII lives or does the link create a phantom netlist?

Thanks,
Rob