gEDA-user: Library of gnucap and ngspice compatible models?

I, and judging from the mailing lists and forums many others, are
frustrated by the difficulty of finding spice models that are
compatible with open-source circuit simulators.  Common replies are
"you don't need that level of detail" or "find a model library buried
in the vendor's website, pick a model for a part similar to yours,
then alter any lines containing X and replace .subckt Y with a
reference to your Z".  But that's annoying, especially for users who
are new to these simulators.  I started collecting and adapting models
to be used with my program, http://mrfilter.sourceforge.net , but then
realized that the problem is much larger than my single app, and a
comprehensive library would badly bloat my downloads.

So my question is, should I make a new project which is a library of
models to use with open source simulators?  I think that there is a
need for such a thing, but would it be a good idea?  Licensing should
not be a problem; most vendors license their models to permit
redistribution.  Would it be better to incorporate these into some
existing project than to start a new one?  For that matter, has
somebody already done this and I'm just duplicating effort?  And
finally, what extension should a spice model's filename have?  There
sadly seems to be no consensus to that last question.

-Alan Somers