Re: gEDA-user: Library of gnucap and ngspice compatible models?

Alan,

  I don't do any simulation with gEDA (yet).  I would like to though,
having a point of call for simulation models would be another barrier
to entry broken down.

  Would it be possible for checked spice models that can be
redistributed to be uploaded to gedasymbols.org?

  Andrew

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:21 AM,  <asomers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I, and judging from the mailing lists and forums many others, are
> frustrated by the difficulty of finding spice models that are
> compatible with open-source circuit simulators.  Common replies are
> "you don't need that level of detail" or "find a model library buried
> in the vendor's website, pick a model for a part similar to yours,
> then alter any lines containing X and replace .subckt Y with a
> reference to your Z".  But that's annoying, especially for users who
> are new to these simulators.  I started collecting and adapting models
> to be used with my program, http://mrfilter.sourceforge.net , but then
> realized that the problem is much larger than my single app, and a
> comprehensive library would badly bloat my downloads.
>
> So my question is, should I make a new project which is a library of
> models to use with open source simulators?  I think that there is a
> need for such a thing, but would it be a good idea?  Licensing should
> not be a problem; most vendors license their models to permit
> redistribution.  Would it be better to incorporate these into some
> existing project than to start a new one?  For that matter, has
> somebody already done this and I'm just duplicating effort?  And
> finally, what extension should a spice model's filename have?  There
> sadly seems to be no consensus to that last question.
>
> -Alan Somers

╒═════════════════════════════════════════════╕
     Andrew Whyte MEng CEng

               paramita ltd

     @ - aw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     ⌨ - www.paramita-electronics.com
     ☎ - +44 (0) 79 81 01 61 85
paramita ltd, is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 6631289. Registered office: 788-790 Finchley Road,
London, NW11 7TJ (please use trading address for normal correspondence)