Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 10:41:25PM -0500, John Griessen wrote:
> On 09/07/2010 08:24 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
> >
> >I do stuff like that too, but it's still bad.  Way too easy to lose
> >work by saving one set of changes over another.
> >
> >Now, if we had an "edit the raw pcb file" menu option that LOCKED the
> >file so that you couldn't corrupt your data and lose work, that would
> >be safer.
>
> How about a menu item that loads the .pcb file in your favorite editor,
> and when that is done, reverts to file contents?
>
> Oh, yeah, my favorite editor lets me write out a file without closing it,
> so how would the pcb running instance know I'd stopped editing and started
> clicking and typing in pcb?   Hmmm...  you could freeze pcb until the editor
> that was spawned is closed.   That would make a simple path that returns
> and doesn't let you lose work....    Except when you add a very desirable
> multiple windows opena nd editing feature...   Unless they all are locked
> by file editing....   except....  Uh...  Hmm....

Actually, if all windows were disabled (and visibly so), while the editor
was open, it wouldn't be nearly as bad as that sounds, especially if the
editor could be loaded and unloaded quickly.

What would be cool is if we could embed a terminal so that vi could run
in the main PCB window. But then what happens when a GUI editor is invoked?
What terminal would we embed (konsole, gnome-terminal, xterm, ...)? What
if your "editor" is actually sed, and needs to be passed command-line
arguments and have its output captured? Oh, my...

Andrew