Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

On 09/08/2010 03:44 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

The reason I don't close down PCB is that it's a pain to close down PCB,
then open it again, position the window where you want it, resize the
PCB window, move the status box where you want it, close the library,
etc., particularly when you make a small tweak and want to visualize it
several times in a row.

To reiterate my caveat: I do the same thing :-)

In fact, I with "revert" didn't reset things like layer visibility and
such.

So far, my favorite idea wrt operating on the .pcb file outside pcb
is to start from a menu click, named
whatever the user wants, to load "your favorite text
processing program" while freezing the open pcb windows and
saving all their positions and states, and upon
some other cue, unfreeze the pcb window(s).  The other cue could
be closing the 'text processing program' from itself, or probably
better, from another menu pick named something easy like, pcb mode.

Then, for instance a vi user could label the first menu pick vi mode,
and the second one pcb mode.

Or any other names and programs a user could want.

John