Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 02:18:09PM -0600, John Doty wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2010, at 1:28 PM, kai-martin knaak wrote:
>
> > Peter Clifton wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, indeed.. magic silk (and other) layers should probably go
> >> and die.
> >
> > Please do. My local list of warts and rooms for improvement contains
> > many complaints about things that can't be done with silk. Worst of
> > all: You can't selectively print top-silk and bottom-silk like the
> > regular layers.
>
> That's because they are implemented as a class, rather than just
> a layer with certain properties. This sort of problem is an inevitable
> consequence of classification. But when I wrote:

If they were implemented as part of the class "layer", they could be
used just like any other layer.

It is because they are not a class, but a layer-like object imbued with
a bunch of arbitrary attributes (which are not shared by other layers)
that we have problems.

Andrew