Re: gEDA-user: Portable gEDA for Windows

> The next question, I suppose is, "what if I didn't compile Cygwin,
> or the other libraries it's link against....?", but that belongs
> somewhere else.

Actually, it's a good question here too, because it relates.  If you
offer binaries on a web site along with sources, and the recipient
*chooses* not to download the sources at the same time they download
the binaries, that's the users problem if they go away.

But if that user uses those binaries to make something, they might not
be able to distribute that thing if they can't then obtain the right
sources in order to pass them along.

Shared libraries mitigates some of this, as libraries like GTK or .NET
are "normally distributed with the operating system" and not included
in your own distribution.  It becomes problematic when you want to use
such a library on an OS that *doesn't* normally include those, like
gtk on windows.  You can mitigate that by linking against pre-built
DLLs that, say, come with cygwin, and telling the end user they need
to install them to use your program.