Re: gEDA-user: Symbol creation

Ãsten Einarsson wrote:

> The included symbol looses its attributes when opened
> in a gschem window (when I look at main menue EDIT/EDIT)
> with some other symbols.

All attributes in your pgnd.sym file, are associated with the pin. They are
within the pin environment given by curly brackets. Probably they got there
because you selected the pin, typed EE and added the attributes in the
attribute editor. In a sense, your symbol does not loose attributes, but
does not contain any, in the first place.

Attributes of the whole symbol should reside outside any environment. Use
the action "Add_Attribute" from the Add menu to add them to the symbol.
Shortcut is "aa".

Some more notes on your symbol:

* A power symbol needs a net attribute to work as expected.
In your case, it should probably be
	net=PGND:1

* A refdes attribute on a power symbol does not make much sense. Power
symbols don't translate to specific footprints in the layout. The symbol
does not represent a physical component.

* The pin number attribute should probably not be visible.

* The pin label and the pin number attributes are rotated by 180 degrees.
There is some evil magic in gschem that prevents them to render upside-down.
Still, there is a difference to upright orientation: The mark of the text
sits on the opposite side of the text. This makes it difficult to align the
text with other strings. My recommendation: Avoid 180Â rotation in symbols.

* Your symbol is pretty large -- about three times the size of the power
symbols in the default library. Is this deliberate?

---<)kaimartin(>---

PS:
/----your symbol file with comments by me----------
# The version of gschem the symbol was created with
v 20091004 2

# three line statements
L 400 800 1000 800 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 500 700 900 700 3 0 0 0 -1 -1
L 600 600 800 600 3 0 0 0 -1 -1

# a pin statement. The attributes of the pin follow in curly brackets
P 700 1100 700 800 1 0 0
{
T 700 1100 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
pintype=pwr

# The pinlabel and the pinnumber are rotated by 180 degrees
T 505 500 5 10 0 1 180 6 1
pinlabel=PGND
T 605 1050 5 10 1 1 180 0 1
pinnumber=1
T 700 1100 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
pinseq=1

# The device attribute is inside the pin environment
T 400 400 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
device=PGND
T 600 1200 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
refdes=P?
}

--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
UniversitÃt Hannover, Inst. fÃr Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211