Re: gEDA-user: How to find which specific part of a PCB is shorted?

> Since we have such a good, algorithmic method for finding these shorts,
> perhaps we can write some code to do it for our puny human minds? Â;)
>
> Usually, when I have power and ground shorted, it's because of a via placed
> some where that was accidentally assigned thermals to the wrong layer.

I remember the old Quake maps had to be "sealed", so any loose seam
would cause problems. Because the map editor doesn't know what you
meant to be outside/inside, etc, the map editor had a feature to deal
with this, it would create a line that would start in one area, and
head to another. All you had to do was follow the line.

A similar solution in PCB would be neat. if VCC and GND are shorted,
pick a random GND pin and a random VCC pin. Find a path between them
and show it as a orange dotted line. This could later be extended to
find either the shortest orange dotted line, or the point on the board
where several such lines meet.