Re: gEDA-user: Fwd: Re: [OH Updates] How can you help solve the proprietary tool problem?

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 18:08 +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 11:36 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > > Does the category low end bother you?
> >
> > Nope.  Dave comes from Altium so everything is relative to that ;-)
> >
> > Besides, I always thought geda/pcb's competition was Eagle,
>
> And Target3001 and DesignSpark now. And of course KiCAD.
> gEDA/PCB is really not very popular here in Germany.

I suppose there is no accounting for taste. I hear DesignSpark is
rubbish (comment from someone I know who tried it once).

>  The term "suite"
> and "collection of tools" makes people think it must be difficult to
> use, that is one point. But now we have a moderated mailing list, that
> may attract some people from old eastern Germany (GDR), some of these
> really miss the berlin wall.

I'm not sure who ought to be more offended at that - the ex-East-Germans
you mention, or the list administrators. Comparing a moderated mailing
list to the kind of oppression and freedom limitations imposed during
that era is a bit of an exaggeration. A bit like calling someone who is
overly strict or prescriptive a Nazi.

(Ok - I found the comment funny - just don't tell anyone ;)).

> And to say it clear: There may be a (good?) reason for moderation, but
> when post to this list needs many hours or days to become visible:
> Really bad for beginners. Or is this only for Kai-Martin and me.

Just for the record, I'm not sure what our moderation policy is. Are any
of your posts being rejected by moderation? (If so - just what kind of
emails are you sending? ;)).

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,