Re: gEDA-user: pcb gtk: Toggle buttons for route styles?

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 20:26 -0700, Russell Dill wrote:
> >> Throwing out a crazy idea.. in word-processors etc.., "styles" are found
> >> in a drop-down combo-box. I know that doesn't fit so well with where we
> >> have space for the route-style selector, but just a crazy though.
> >>

> > One day, when we support an unlimited number of route styles. ;)
> >

> Yes, 4 hardly seems like enough. Especially since many designs require
> a different trace width based on the layer for the same signal.

For impedance reasons?

I was also aware that you could also have different requirements for
current carrying capacity - if different layers used different copper
weights.

There are also different DRC rules on certain objects on inner layers
for some fabs IIRC.

Perhaps this ought the be encompassed in a "smart" route-style which has
different settings for different layers. That would make assigning one
route-style to one net much more practical. You (and the auto-router)
wouldn't have to switch styles when switching layers etc..

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,