Re: gEDA-user: test repo

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 7:14 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> use a released version, or stick with one checked-out version you know
> works, or maintain your own bugfix branch.  Git head is where
> development happens, and when we're bringing in big changes, stuff
> breaks.

Maybe give a non-dev volunteer permission to make "official"
development snapshots, similar to how Icarus Verilog has done in the
past.   Those who want tested stability use the official release that
is packaged by distros, those who want more bleeding edge but want to
have had someone at least do a quick check that there aren't major
board-breaking bugs can use the development snapshot, and those who
want to tinker use git head.  The difference between the snapshot and
an official release is the time spent testing for bugs, dealing with
which features to hold off the release for, etc.  Even if a snapshot
ends up with a major bug, if they happen often enough you won't loose
a lot of features by going back a snapshot or two like you would going
back to the last release.

Just a thought.

Jared